Another Lesson in Disparity of Force… This Time With Positive Results
August 11th, 2008
Today’s blog is for every Cop and Concealed Weapon Permit Holder who DOES NOT carry their weapon EVERYWHERE they go.
I know there are times when carrying a gun is uncomfortable and a significant inconvenience. Dealing with carrying a weapon in hot weather, while traveling on airlines, enjoying vacation, or exercising is not pleasant, but there is nothing worse than needing a gun and not having one. Shame on you if you are caught without your gun when it is needed to save your life or the lives of your loved ones – especially when you have been granted the right and opportunity to carry it with you at all times.
As you will once again see from this blog report – a lethal confrontation with multiple adversaries can occur at any time, in any place, and when you least expect it…
Last Monday I shared a lesson in Disparity of Force and explained when you can and cannot shoot unarmed adversaries. In last week’s example the victim was not armed and as a result sustained a life threatening beating. In this week’s example, the victim was armed and the outcome was significantly more positive.
When you read the news report below, pay particular attention to the following:
1. The unprovoked assault occurred in broad daylight, in a very public place, with numerous people standing by.
2. Although there were numerous bystanders, nobody came to the aid of the victim during the assault.
3. The victim was attacked from behind by four or five men.
4. The victim pleaded for attackers to stop and identified himself before presenting his weapon.
5. The leader of the assault was a sociopath with a history of similar crimes, so the victim’s plea to stop was not effective.
6. Only a gun in trained hands prevented the victim from sustaining permanent injury or death.
7. Several shots were fired by the victim resulting in 5 hits. Two of which were thoracic cavity hits in the leader of the attack resulting in his death. Two hits were peripheral hits in the thigh of another attacker who survived.
8. Also note that the victim mentioned he was feeling ill inside the restaurant so he stepped outside for some fresh air and was then attacked from behind. In general, criminals look for easy victims. Keep in mind that if you appear weak, frail, or sick to a criminal he will be more likely to choose to attack you over someone else.
Here is the news story:
This was a textbook case of Disparity of Force and the outcome could only have been more positive if the victim’s shots had been more accurate.
If you know the victim, have him contact me; I have set aside a Front Sight Challenge Lifetime Membership to award him for his actions and service to all law-abiding citizens.
Now, if you are a Cop or Concealed Weapon Permit Holder and are NOT carrying your gun everywhere you go, make a decision TODAY to change your foolish ways and let your gun be your constant companion of your walks. When the chips are down, others may leave your defense, but your gun will not fail you if you do your part.
And if you do not yet have a Concealed Weapon Permit, then by all means take advantage of my greatest Course, Gun, and Gear Offer that will put a Springfield Armory XD Pistol in your hands with 5 DAYS of our world class training and permits that allow you to carry a concealed handgun in over 30 states!
I will be posting a different article on this blog each Monday so I look forward to your visit every week.
If you have an interesting photo, story or tip about a relevant topic of interest to gun ownership, firearms training or Second Amendment issues, please feel free to send it to me at:
Again, take advantage of the Greatest Course, Gun, and CCW Permit offer in the firearms training industry see this link:
See you next week.
Dr. Ignatius Piazza
Founder and Director
Front Sight Firearms Training Institute